Slime products have surged in popularity in the last year. However, a new report has revealed that slime-based toys may contain high levels of chemicals which can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, cramps, headaches, tremors and skin irritation.
The warning relates to a chemical called boron. Consumer Group Which? tested 11 products and found that eight of them breached EU regulations on the amount of boron they contain. Boron is found in borax, the ingredient used in slime manufacture to give the product its stickiness. Which? said that Toysmith Jupiter Juice contained 1,400mg of boron, more than 4 times the permitted level with CCINEE Pink Fluffy Slime containing 1,000mg.Hulk Green Halloween Slime and slime from The Works and Smyths are considered safe.
Nikki Stopford, director of research and publishing at Which? said “Parents buying slime for their children should have peace of mind that these toys are safe, so they will be shocked to find that the health of their children could be put at risk .”
“There must be fundamental changes to the product safety system.”
“Manufacturers must stop making unsafe products and the government and retailers simply have to do a far better job of getting anything identified as a risk off the shelves and out of people’s homes.”
The British Toy and Hobby Association said not all toys sold in the UK have been made following the “stringent rules of the Toy Safety Directive.”